Position: Library Director
The Bangor Public Library seeks a dynamic, visionary, and community-minded leader with proven administrative, fiscal and public service experience as its next Library Director. This unique opportunity is available due to the current Library Director's retirement after 27 years of service. The candidate will promote proactive leadership in technology integration while interacting with elected and appointed officials to foster collaborative relationships throughout the community and among all library constituents. The Bangor Public Library is one of three Area Resource and Reference Centers and helps support the needs of libraries in the state. Maine libraries have a long history of working together across library types that is uncommon to other states. The Director of Bangor Public Library would serve on the URSUS Directors Council, the Maine Library Commission, and other state-wide organizations. For more information on the collaborative work of Maine libraries http://digitalcommons.library.umaine.edu/mpr/vol22/iss1/
The Bangor Public Library has a staff of 35 with an annual budget of $2.3 million; a collection of 469,291 volumes and more than 31,866 registered borrowers. In 2016 we served 250,000 visitors and circulated 341,177 items. For more information visit https://www.bpl.lib.me.us/ .
Located in central Maine, Bangor is the poster child for the slogan "Maine... worth a visit, worth a lifetime." The region served by the Library offers a very affordable cost of living while remaining accessible to many attractive venues. For more information on the city of Bangor https://library.umaine.edu/content/bpl/bangor_region_&_state_of_maine_b102317.pdf
Minimum requirements include a Master's Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program and five years of professional library experience with at least two years of director or other senior level administrator experience; or equivalent background and experience that will enable the candidate to perform effectively the work required.
* knowledge of library principles and practices;
* commitment to staying well-informed on library district legal and financial issues
* currency on technology and trends
* sound business and financial judgement
* understanding of common personnel management methods to lead an engaged and thriving staff
* initiative, awareness and vision in developing library services
* skill in building and maintaining effective relationships with the Library Board, staff and community leaders
* public library experience, including a successful track record of reporting to a governing board, is preferred
* exercise a full range of body motion to include standing, walking, talking, listening, stooping, kneeling, and reaching, plus lifting up to 25 pounds, with some exposure to weights up to 50 pounds
* pulling and pushing book trucks weighing up to 50 pounds and adjusting focus to include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception
* using telephones, computers, printers, scanners, photocopiers, and other office and telecommunication equipment
* must pass a physical and a background check
* reports to nine-member Library Board of Trustees
* directs Library System operations
* develops plans to effectively meet current and future community needs
* oversees a staff of 35 full and part-time employees
* develops, presents, and administers annual budget
* seeks and administers outside funding
* establishes and maintains effective working relationships with communities including elected officials, other agencies, and civic/community groups
* oversees Library System facilities and collections, physical and electronic
A starting salary range of $80,000 - $120,000 (with final placement dependent upon experience and qualifications) and a generous benefits package including personal/medical leave, health insurance, and a matching contribution to a retirement plan. Job related travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Apply via email with a meaningful cover letter, a resume, and contact information for three references sent as MS Word documents or Adobe PDF attachments to Bangor Public Library Search Committee at email@example.com. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.