How do I get a card?
Library membership is FREE to all Maine residents. More than 30,000 Mainers are registered members of the Bangor Public Library!
To get a library card:
1) Visit the Circulation Desk on the 1st floor. Children and young adults (until high school) should visit the Youth Services Department on the 3rd floor.
2) Bring some form of identification which includes your name and current mailing address.
3) Fill out an application card. That's it!
How do I check out books, movies or other items?
You must present your library card at the Checkout Counter to borrow materials. Books from the Youth Services Department may be checked out or returned at the adult circulation desk, and vice versa.
- Library books, audio CD books and videos may be checked out for three weeks.
- If other patrons are waiting for a book, that book generally checks out for two weeks.
- Adult magazines (including the current issue) check out for one week, but may neither be renewed nor reserved. Children's magazines check out for three weeks and may be renewed.
- Items can be renewed if no one is waiting for them, or they can be reserved if checked out to another patron (see below for details).
- There is a seven item limit on videos per family per visit.
- The overdue fee for adult items is $.10 per day.
- The overdue fee for children's items is $.05 per day.
- If you renew a book which is already late a fine may be assessed to your account.
How do I renew my materials?
Our members are welcome to extend the due dates of items they have checked out. You may renew most items twice, so long as no one else has requested the item. Please have your library card at hand when attempting to renew.
There are three ways to renew materials:
- In person: Visit our Circulation Counter.
- Online: Click on the My Library Account link at the top of any page in the URSUS catalog.
- By phone: Call the Library during regular hours at 947-8336.
- Via text message: Login to your account online, and setup text messaging alerts for your account. This will send you auto messages when an item is due and will give you the option to renew via text with a reply of "Renew".
How do I request or reserve an item?
You may request to borrow a book from our collection or have a book reserved for you without coming to the library in three ways:
- By email: email@example.com
- By telephone: 207-947-8336 (We can process two requests per call.)
- Online through the URSUS catalog, which we share with the Maine State Library, the Maine Law & Legislative Library, and the University of Maine System.
- Items not found in URSUS may be available through MaineCat, the statewide library catalog.
Please note there are some limitations on requesting books through URSUS:
When the book is available for you we will notify you by mail or email. Then you must come to the library to pick up your requested material within a week of receiving the notice.